If Harry and Meghan had the wedding of your dreams, this is the article for you. We’ve hashed out all the royal wedding ideas you can steal for your big day.
On May 19, 2018 we all witnessed the magical marriage of Harry and Meghan, and, as expected, it was the stuff that wedding dreams are made of. Everything, from the guest list to the bride’s wedding dress to the (rumoured) after party events, was enviable. Unless you’re a member of the monarchy, you won’t be able to replicate it perfectly, but there’s lots of royal wedding ideas you can steal for your big day. So don’t shed a tear for yourself, yet – explore your options! Even though you can’t borrow a crown from the Queen, you can still infuse your big day with some real royal style by borrowing some of the happy couple’s ceremony and reception ideas.
Here are some steal-worthy royal wedding ideas.
- A wedding dress inspired by Meghan Markle’s stunning Givenchy wedding dress
- ...or a gown reminiscent of her equally gorgeous reception look by Stella McCartney
- A castle wedding venue is an easy royal wedding idea to steal - the UK has plenty!
- A white, green and pale pastel colour scheme
- A floral archway filled with beautiful blooms
- An ultra-posh dress code
- A luxurious horse-drawn carriage procession is a royal wedding idea that will definitely make you feel like a prince and princess
- A vintage getaway car, like the happy couple’s 1968 Jaguar E-Type Concept Zero
- A charity gift fund (who needs a gift list filled with china and gravy boats, anyway?!)
- Formal family portraits, like the official royal wedding photos
- Comfy slippers for the guests who wore high heels or painful footwear
- A standing wedding breakfast with canapés and wedding bowls
- A party playlist filled with Elton John songs - sorry, he probably won’t be able to perform on your big day
- A wedding cake with separated tiers is one of our favourite royal wedding ideas
- Reception speeches by both the bride and groom
- An upbeat first dance song - Harry and Meghan allegedly danced to Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)”
- A fun signature cocktail name, like “When Harry Met Meghan”
- Having a social media-free reception (what happens at your reception, stays at your reception)
- A hilarious emcee on the mic - they had James Corden, but you could probably ask your comedic cousin or best man to do the job
- A game of beer pong (that’s right, you heard me, the couple allegedly had beer pong at their after party)
- A late-night snack menu stacked with American faves like burgers and candy floss
- Ending the night with a fireworks display