Popping the question is a huge deal, so you want to be sure you’re ready when you do. We suggest answering these questions before heading out to look at any engagement rings.
Think you’re ready to take the next step in your relationship? Well, before you start looking at engagement rings and mentally planning what your wedding will look like, there are a few Qs you need to A. Now, there’s a good chance that not all of these will apply to your relationship, but try your best to answer as many as you can with honesty. You’ll probably want to keep a pen and paper handy - your notes may come in handy when you start drafting your marriage proposal speech or wedding vows.
Here are the essential questions you need to answer before proposing.
- Why do I want to propose?
- Can I see myself spending my life with my partner?
- Is my partner my best friend?
- Does my partner bring out the best version of myself?
- Do my partner and I share the same family goals (i.e. kids)?
- Do I like my partner’s family (and do they like mine)?
- Do my partner and I share the same (or similar) values?
- Do my partner and I have the same financial goals?
- Do my partner and I want the same things out of life?
- Do my partner and I respect each other’s differences?
- Do my partner and I turn disagreements into learning opportunities?
- Do my partner and I value each other’s opinions?
- Are my partner and I good at conflict resolution?
- Are my partner and I sexually compatible?
- Are my partner and I on the same page about work (do I respect their job and do they respect mine)?
- Are my partner and I good at making decisions as a team?
- Are my partner and I emotionally open with each other?
- Does my partner make me feel safe?
- Does my partner know how to get me through bad, hard and sad times?
- Does my partner know how to make me laugh?
- Do I respect my partner’s religion or spirituality (and do they respect mine)?
- Do my partner and I make good roommates?
- Have I hid a lot of things from my partner?
- Am I willing to take the bad with good when it comes to my partner?
- Am I willing to make compromises for my partner?